Saturday, September 12, 2009

Tyson's VEEG

So, we are home early from Tyson's VEEG (Video EEG) this weekend up at Primary Children's. We were supposed to be there from Thursday until Sunday, but we got enough seizures on video that we were able to go home early...thank goodness. :) We got there Thursday at 3:00 and they hooked him up to the EEG. He was pretty good most of the time and then towards the end he got really upset. He kept reaching for me and wanting me to hold him. It took probably 30 minutes to hook him up. They had to glue the electrodes on his head so they wouldn't come off if he pulled at it. So, it was pretty tortuous. He was perfectly fine afterward though. Every nurse and every doctor thought he was the cutest thing ever, I heard more about that than anything else up there. He laughed for them, gave them "five" and "bust", and constantly smiled, even if they were checking his vitals at 4 in the morning. I slept in the same bed with him so I knew if he had a seizure I could push the button. Let me just say it was one of the worst night sleeps I have ever had. On top of being 7-1/2 months pregnant and not even being comfortable in my own bed at home, sleeping in a hospital bed was 10 times worse. But, we got about 4 documented seizures during the night and then 3 the next morning/afternoon. There were a few that the neurologist questioned when I pushed the button and I told him that I was dreaming that I needed to push the button, so maybe I pushed it when he wasn't having one. haha. Who knows. After I looked at the video with the neurologist, he confirmed that they were in fact seizures and they are coming from the left temporal lobe. He also saw some spikes in the back right. What?!?!?! Kind of disappointing to hear. I'm not sure what all of this means. He said he didn't see any seizure activity in the back left, thinking that if he did, maybe they were transferring over to the right, but there was none. We have the DT-MRI on October 1st and then we have a follow up visit a week later to talk with the neurologist and neurosurgeon to determine the next steps. But, I'm glad we are home early and we now know that these are in fact seizures he is having. We have upped his medication again and we'll be waiting for a few more weeks to find more answers.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That cute little boy always has a smile on his face no matter what. I'm sorry what you are having to endure. (Especially while being so pregnant) Hopefully you guys are/will get the answers you are looking for. I can tell you guys are wonderful parents!

Brindy said...

What a cutie! He's such a trooper. Don't stress though (we don't want an early baby!), everything will work out the way it's suppose to.

Kat said...

I'm glad to hear that they were able to get it documented, and that you got to go home early. Sorry you didn't get too much sleep. He is such a doll and always has a smile on his face.

Andy Porter said...

Hopefully you will be able to get some answers. I don't know how you were able to do that while you are pregnant...along with moving and everything. Please let me know if you ever need a babysitter or dinner or anything!!

Sorensen's said...

I am hoping that you guys get the answers that you need! SO glad to hear that they were able to catch the seizures. You take care of yourself. Keep posting updates!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh that is the cutest picture I have ever seen!!! Just want to eat that little guy right up. I slept with Seth in the hospital bed and it was HORRIBLE, and I wasn't pregnant. You poor thing, I bet you were waiting for the morning to come all night long. Good luck with everything, as always he's in our prayers.

Unknown said...

Awwwwe! He is sooo stinkin cute!! I'm so sorry that you have to go through any of this! You are such a good mom to endure a horribly uncomfortable night to be with your sweet little boy! I hope everything turns out alright!

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

Love that cute picture of him!! I'm so glad you didn't have to stay all weekend. I am bummed that we couldn't meet up at Primarys but we were out by 11. Hope they can get answers soon and that the doctors can intervene and help stop the seizures. We'll be keeping your family in our prayers.

Rachelle said...

that pictures melted my heart and broke it at the same time. sorry you are going through this but hopefully they will find something out soon?! so much going on for you - moving, this, baby coming. please let us know if we can do ANYTHING! my husband makes a mean terriyaki chicken...haha! SERIOUS. ♥

Our Bitter Sweet Life with T1D said...

So glad you didn't have to stay too long at the hospital, though any stay is always too long, but the shorter the better. I am sorry to hear that Tyson is having more seizures. That is never what you want to hear, but hopefully you will be able to find something to help stop them. Tyson is such a cutie! I love the fun colorful wrap stuff they used. Hope you are feeling well. Best wishes, Brendalyn

Susan Juber said...

What a happy boy you are. Love you Grandma Juber